India is where our work began over 150 years ago. Across Tamil Nadu today a network of Tamil Baptist Churches are growing fast under Indian leadership. Churches rapidly outgrow their buildings as the Lord reaps a harvest among the Tamil people. After all the years of service there by many remarkable and faithful missionaries, nothing could make us rejoice more!
We make regular trips to visit our Indian friends, to help them train their pastors, many of whom work in situations where there is opposition and where there are few resources to support their work. Training the rising generation to serve their churches well as pastors is a vital work at the present time.
We continue to be involved in a small way financially, helping to fund some church-planters, to fund a small amount of literature work, and to support some work among widows and orphans. All our financial support for India goes to the Tamil Baptist Trust. (We are unable to provide any grant funding to other ministries in India.)
How can you pray for India?
- For the 50 million people in the Brahmin or priestly caste where less than 0.1% are Christians, that churches would be making focused efforts to reach them
- For the 131 million plus people in the different forward castes. They have a very negative views of Christians and there is little effective ministry among them.
- For the 500 million plus people in the different backward castes. Where on average less than 0.01% are Christians, that God would be opening hearts to the gospel.
GBM stories from India
India – key facts
- Population 1.3 billion (July 2020 est.)
- Population Growth 1.1% (2020 est.)
- Ethnicity Indo-Aryan 72%, Dravidian 25%, Mongoloid and other 3% (2000)
- Language Hindi 43.6%, Bengali 8%, Marathi 6.9%, Telugu 6.7%, Tamil 5.7%, Gujarati 4.6%, Urdu 4.2%, Kannada 3.6%, Odia 3.1%, Malayalam 2.9%, Punjabi 2.7%, Assamese 1.3%, Maithili 1.1%, other 5.6% (2011 est.)
- Religion Hindu 79.8%, Muslim 14.2%, Christian 2.3%, Sikh 1.7%, other and unspecified 2% (2011 est.)
- Literacy 74.4% (2018)
(Data from the CIA World Factbook, August 2020)